What Parents Need to Know About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
“Based on what we know, children have experienced a mild form of the disease and some have been hospitalized,” said Ann-Christine Nyquist, MD, FAAP, a member of the AAP Committee on Infectious Diseases. With many questions remaining about the virus, she urged pediatricians and their patients to seek information only from trusted sources — the AAP, the CDC, and local and state health departments.
COVID-19, like other human coronaviruses, has symptoms similar to the common cold or flu. Some people experience mild illness while others become very sick. So far, children seem to tolerate the illness better than adults and most people who have tested positive for the virus have recovered.
Symptoms typically appear within 14 days of exposure and include:
- Shortness of breath
- Body aches
- Sore throat
Protect Your Family
We know the COVID-19 is spread from person to person, like a cold, through droplets in the air from coughs and sneezes. It is not as contagious as measles,
which is a relief, but avoiding exposure is key. Recommendations for staying well:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, about the time it takes to hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- If you cannot wash your hands, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick or becoming sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue (not your hands) and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine and boosters as appropriate. Get a flu shot each year.
Phones are answered and office is open 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday-Friday.
After Hours: For urgent medical needs after-hours, please call the office at 503-554-0036 and follow the prompts to be connected to our Physicians Answering Service. Voicemail messages left after-hours at that number will be returned early the next business day.